Depot de Munt
A unique art collection in a special location
The start of the collection
Hendrik ten Hoven (1901- 1978)
Welcome to Depot de Munt
The collection of Depot de Munt is a unique private art collection of over 800 paintings, etchings, copper engravings, lithographs and various items related to the Munttoren. The collection has been carefully compiled with work from the early 19th century to the present.
Depot de Munt is located in the bustling heart of Amsterdam and since 2016 is located in the Muntstaete building, a municipal monument at the foot of the Munt Tower.
How it started:
In 1996, Hans Wolff, an Amsterdam developer/investor in real estate, bought the Muntstaete building. Shortly after this exciting purchase, Wollf decided to take a short holiday with his wife to Miami and there they ran into a small painting by Hendrik ten Hoven at an art- and antiques market, with the image of the Munttoren; they thought this was such a special coincidence; that they bought the painting.
A brief history of the Munttoren
The Munttoren is 35 meters high and is also called 'The Mint'. In this place there used to be a city gate: the Regulierspoort, built in the period 1480 to 1487. Together with the Waag and the Schreierstoren, this gate was part of the Medieval city wall.
After the city expansion in 1585, the gate lost its function. In 1618 the city gate was destroyed by fire and it was decided to rebuild only one tower. The well-known 17th century architect Hendrick de Keyser gave the tower an octagonal superstructure with a clockwork with 4 dials.
How the Regulierspoort got the nickname Munttoren.
The name of the Regulierspoort changed to Munttoren in 1672, when Amsterdam was temporarily given the right to mint coins. The coins of Dordrecht and Enkhuizen were inaccessible because French troops occupied large parts of the Netherlands. The Munttoren was ultimately only used to mint coins for a year. The munitions process was stopped again in 1673. A total of 1,386,230 silver riders and 56,560 gold ducats were minted in just one year.
Depot de Munt is in possession of a silver rider, a coin from 1673, minted in the Munttoren. This coin was found in a shipwreck.
A brief history of the Munttoren
The Munttoren is 35 meters high and is also called 'The Mint'. In this place there used to be a city gate: the Regulierspoort, built in the period 1480 to 1487. Together with the Waag and the Schreierstoren, this gate was part of the Medieval city wall.
After the city expansion in 1585, the gate lost its function. In 1618 the city gate was destroyed by fire and it was decided to rebuild only one tower. The well-known 17th century architect Hendrick de Keyser gave the tower an octagonal superstructure with a clockwork with 4 dials.
How the Regulierspoort got the nickname Munttoren
The name of the Regulierspoort changed to Munttoren in 1672, when Amsterdam was temporarily given the right to mint coins. The coins of Dordrecht and Enkhuizen were inaccessible because French troops occupied large parts of the Netherlands. The Munttoren was ultimately only used to mint coins for a year. The coining process was stopped again in 1673. A total of 1,386,230 silver riders and 56,560 gold ducats were minted in just one year.
Depot de Munt is in possession of a silver rider, a coin minted in the Munttoren, found in a shipwreck.
“We make the city, the city makes us.”
On display at Depot de Munt, as part of the collection, a film by Bernd Wouthuysen; Masklo Film.
Duration: 20 minutes
a small introduction to collected works
Collection
Jan Knikker jr.
1911 – 1990
Mint tower with flower market
oil on canvas
oil on canvas
Sam van Beek
1878 – 1957
The Munttoren with Blue tram
pencil and watercolor on board
Contact:
Stichting Collectie Depot de Munt
(KvK 96052597)
Sandra van Win
Curator
T: 0206765091
E: info@depotdemunt.nl
Guided Tour
From 9 January 2025, Depot de Munt welcomes visitors every Thursday afternoon for an exclusive guided tour of 90 minutes, including the film ‘We make the city, the city makes us’ (duration 20 minutes). The tour starts at 3:00 PM and ends at 4:30 PM. Reservations can be made in advance via the application form or by e-mail to info@depotdemunt.nl stating the date and the number of people, with a maximum of 20 people per group.
Entrance: € 15,- p.p.
Requests for other days/times via: info@depotdemunt.nl or via our request form.
Follow us: